Custom Search

Monday, July 10, 2006

Converting FAT32 to NTFS

I started into this not expecting what I was about to encounter.
I was wanting to convert an external usb 2.0 160G Seagate hd
from fat32 to ntfs. Downloading Bootitng, putting it on a floppy,
rebooting, and doing the realigning went quickly. Rebooted to XP
and the fun started. I told it to do a full defrag of the drive
and it took all night and all day. When I ran convert, it had
file errors it couldn't fix, probably from one of many of good
old "Windoze" lockups and reboots. Checked the drive, fixed the
errors, and finally was able to convert it to ntfs. I have cygwin
on the box with accounts and directories for all the users on the
LAN, each of which has a cronjob that uses rsync to backup the users
home directory to the XP box nightly. I wanted an environment
where owneship is pretty much followed, the same way it is on
all the OpenBSD boxes. It's done now, and my butt is dragging
as usually does after fooling around with a multios environment.
But hey, it works! ;)

Converting FAT32 to NTFS in Windows XP

powered by performancing firefox

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home