Custom Search

Tuesday, November 04, 2003

Portscanner and Nmap

Installed portscanner and nmap. Had a bad time with nmap until I read up on Makefiles, Ports, Flavors, and a few other things I can't remember right now. I'm not using any GUI on OpenBSD on my laptop, mostly due to drive size constraints. I still have an old windoze printout of all the port & interrupts for the old laptop, so setting up X wouldn't be much of a chore. Anyway, I learned how to build nmap without X support like: cd /usr/ports/nmap $ env FLAVOR="no_x11" make package $ env FLAVOR="no_x11" make install $ env FLAVOR="no_x11" make clean After that, as usual after installing programs, which naturally adds files, I ran /usr/libexec/locate.updatedb to update the locate database, did a rehash, and was ready to use nmap (portscanner later also after that install). Downloaded the latest virus data signature files for f-prot and installed them. Now I have to learn how to add a Perl CPAN module, HTTP::REQUEST so I can use the /usr/local/f-prot/tools/check-updates.pl script. If I can get that done, I won't have to go to f-prot's web site any longer to update. I can run something like the sample script as a cron job: CRON JOB EXAMPLES If you want to run this script in a cron-job, then you should put a cron entry into your crontab similar to the following example. Here is an example of a crontab entry which runs the check-updates.pl script twice a day: 04:27 and 16:27: 27 4,16 * * * /usr/local/f-prot/tools/check-updates.pl -cron (consult your crontab manual page, this format may differ between versions)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home