Custom Search

Saturday, February 23, 2008

Web Site Update

Finally made good my threat and added a new page on using
SSH, Samba, and Cygwin on Windows to forward ports for secure
browsing, file management, and so forth, from Windows boxen
to OpenBSD boxen. Includes a howto on generating passwordless
SSH RSA keys which is what I believe is safer than typing in
cleartext passwords. Page is at:

SSH & Samba

I also added a link to a site where you can pick up binary updates
for OpenBSD. When I checked it there were currently 3 available,
4.0, 4.1 and 4.2. Here's the link again:

Binary Updates for OpenBSD

powered by performancing firefox

Labels: , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger . said...

Interesting way to tunnel. I'm hoping samba support gets a little better in OpenBSD. Right now at work I rely on smbget, and I'll rdesktop to a Windows box if I need something really badly and can't locate it. I don't have administrator privileges on most of the Windows boxes or I'd take advantage of this instead.

As far as the password-less keys... I use keychain and ssh-agent on my workstation. I set it to execute before my window manager fires up, and type in the password then. I'm not sure if it's 100% practical to use keychain in all situations, but it really ensures that if someone gets ahold of my key somehow...

2/24/2008 06:39:00 PM  
Blogger Dennyboy said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

2/24/2008 09:59:00 PM  
Blogger Dennyboy said...

I read the DESCR on keychain. Sounds like a cool port and I may try it sometime in the future.

2/24/2008 10:10:00 PM  
Blogger . said...

Here's my .xinitrc:

exec /usr/bin/ssh-agent sh -c 'ssh-add < /dev/null && exec /usr/local/bin/wmaker
'

2/27/2008 10:48:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home